Inscriptions from NY.NY.NYU

The Department of Classics at New York University has a collection of thirty-nine Latin epitaphs and one Greek gravestone from the city of Rome. Six of the stones once belonged to the collection of the Archaeological Museum of the Johns Hopkins University and were published by H.L. Wilson between 1909 and 1914 in AJP (see MD.Balt.JHU). Half a dozen others (including the Greek epitaph) were purchased by Professor Casper J. Kraemer of New York University for his private collection from an antiquities dealer in Rome and were edited by Donald Prakken in AJA 58 (1954) 321-22 before passing into the possession of the Department of Classics. The rest have not yet been published. In addition to these ancient texts, the collection includes two medieval inscriptions (one a brickstamp), one apparent forgery of a Latin epitaph inscribed on a genuine Roman ash urn, and what appears to be an exact copy of the fragmentary consular fasti from Teanum Sidicinum in central Italy, of which the original is preserved at the American Academy in Rome. Three stones once in the possession of the department (all of them published) are now lost. Professor Michael Peachin of New York University is currently directing a number of graduate students in preparing the entire collection for publication; the report of the unpublished texts given below is based on information generously provided by him. All of the inscriptions were evidently acquired in Rome and may be presumed to have originated there.

( Total: 52 ) Jump to: Latin | Greek

Latin

Greek