Inscriptions from MA.Glouc.HCM

Located in the Magnolia section of Gloucester, Hammond Castle Museum, once the home of John Hays Hammond, Jr., an electrical engineer born to wealth and further enriched by numerous inventions (he held more than 435 patents, including one for the guided missile), houses a remarkably eclectic collection of classical and European architecture. Hammond himself designed and built the castle between 1926 and 1930 with stonework and architectural elements collected by him personally from little known places in Europe, particularly Italy, Spain, and France. Among the antiquities built into the walls and variously displayed throughout the castle are some sixty Latin inscriptions, mostly epitaphs and funerary altars, originating for the most part, it seems, from central Italy. In one letter from Rome Hammond mentioned buying a collection of early Christian tombstones for 600 lire in "a dirty little cellar under the Capitoline". Only three of the stones have been published. Allen Ward of the University of Connecticut has photographed all the stones and is planning to edit the collection; the following inventory is based on a set of handwritten transcriptions of the texts generously provided by him.

( Total: 62 ) Jump to: Latin

Latin